SCHOTT RD 50® radiation shielding glass for viewing windows, doors, and panoramic glazing for analytical equipment
Ensuring safety together in difficult situations
SCHOTT radiation shielding glass provides excellent protection against gamma and X-rays. When it comes to shielding from harmful radiation, no compromises are possible. This is why more and more customers in the fields of medicine, science, and industry are relying on radiation shielding glass from SCHOTT. Safety made in Germany.
SCHOTT is the only company in Germany that manufactures radiation shielding glass, and processes it directly in an expert manner.
Thanks to its high density, RD 50® offers high X-ray absorption even with relatively thin glass, and meets the requirements of the German Institute for Standardization, European Standardization and the International Electrotechnical Commission.
SCHOTT deliver RD 50® in maximum dimensions in every geometric shape. Upon request, SCHOTT processes its radiation shielding glasses into various versions.
Uniqueness of SCHOTT radiation shielding glass:
- RD 50® is the monolithic X-ray shielding glass with the widest range of thicknesses
- RD 50® provides high X-ray absorption even with thin glass
- RD 50® can be supplied in different versions, including bent shapes
- RD 50® is available in large sizes
- RD 50® is non-flammable
- RD 50® is more scratch-resistant than acrylic
- higher lead equivalents ( > 6.1mm Pb) can be achieved by using composites
- RD 50® can be processed into insulating glass in combination with sound control or heat protection functions, for example
- RD 50® is available with holes and cut-outs in the desired sizes
RD 50® can be provided as raw material or finished component and processed:
- edge and bevel grinded
- processing into a glass composite
- cast resin
- pvb-film laminated
- insulating glass in combination with e.g. sound control or heat protection function
- screen printing
Meets the requirements of the German Institute for Standardization, European Standardization, and the International Electrotechnical Commission.
RD 50® satisfies the requirements of DIN EN 61331-2 and IEC 61331-2.
RD 50® window application as X-ray shielding in hospitals.
SCHOTT RD 50® for PET applications
Due to its special composition, RD 50® is also ideal for use in PET applications, and offers an excellent protective effect. RD 50® can thus be used in combination with PET and CT.
* Sound reduction values for other thicknesses upon request.
RD 50®: Lead equivalents in mm Pb for X-ray quality and maximum delivery dimensions
d = mm
d = mm
|Attenuation equivalent in mm Pb at a tube voltage of:||
kg / m2
mm x mm
|80 kV||100 kV||110 kV*||150 kV||200 kV|
|5.0||7.0||1.5||1.5||1.5||1.5||1.4||35||2,400 x 1,100|
|7.0||9.0||2.1||2.1||2.1||2.1||2.0||45||2,400 x 1,100|
|8.5||10.5||2.6||2.6||2.5||2.5||2.4||53||2,400 x 1,100|
|10.0||12.0||3.1||3.1||3.0||3.0||2.9||61||2,000 x 1,000|
|11.5||14.0||3.5||3.6||3.5||3.5||3.3||71||2,000 x 1,000|
|16.0||19.0||-||5.0||4.9||4.9||4.6||96||1,500 x 800|
|20.0||23.0||-||6.3||6.1||6.1||5.8||116||1,500 x 800|
RD 50®: Lead equivalents in mm Pb for radionuclides
|Attenuation equivalent in mm Pb with a thickness d of:|
|4.0 mm||5.0 mm||7.0 mm||8.5 mm||10.0 mm||11.5 mm||16.0 mm||20.0 mm|
|C-11, N-13, O-15, F-18||1.4||1.8||2.6||3.1||3.7||4.2||5.9||7.4|
Take advantage of the wide variety of processing possibilities
SCHOTT RD 50® is much thinner than acrylic glass yet has the same effect.
Disinfection of Radiation Shielding Glass
- only use water, a mild detergent and a soft cloth
- RD 50® can be disinfected using commercially available disinfectants that SCHOTT has approved. Disinfection using ultraviolet irradiation is also possible
- radiation shielding glass should never be exposed to moisture or temperature fluctuations in conjunction with moisture and acidic air
- only use a sealant that is free of acids and alkaline substances (e. g. acetic acid, ammonia) during installation. Adhesive labels can cause discoloration if the adhesive reacts with the glass surface.
- do not remove the protective film from radiation shielding glass RD 50® until immediately before installation. Do not use any sharp objects to remove it!
Window or door installation
Window or door installation with radiation shielding glass RD 50®.
Please download our Brochure for further product information:Radiation Shielding Glass RD 30® & RD50® Brochure
If you have a product inquiry, questions for service & support or other topics for SCHOTT RD 50® radiation shielding glass, please click the contact button. You will be forwardet to our contact form.