Otto Schott, Ernst Abbe and Carl and Roderich Zeiss found the Schott & Associates Glass Technology
Laboratory in Jena, Germany.
Ernst Abbe founds the Carl-Zeiss-Stiftung (Carl Zeiss Foundation).
1891 / 1919
The glassworks in Jena become a foundationowned enterprise. Its sole owner is the Carl-Zeiss-Stiftung.
Export share already about 50%
1927 / 1930
The first subsidiaries: Farbenglaswerk Zwiesel (1927), Deutsche Spiegelglas AG (DESAG) in Grünenplan (1930), Glaswerk Mitterteich (1930).
“The Odyssey of 41 Glassmakers”: After the end of World War ll, American troops bring the management and selected experts from Jena to West Germany.
The original factory in Jena (Soviet zone of occupation/GDR as of 1949) is expropriated and converted into a state-owned company (VEB).
The foundation enterprise is rebuilt in Mainz (Federal Republic of Germany) under the direction of Erich Schott, the son of the company’s founder.
Mainz becomes the headquarters and main production site of the SCHOTT Group.
First production subsidiary outside of Germany (Vitrofarma in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil).
As of 1963
Establishment of production plants and sales offices in western and southern Europe. A sales office is opened in the U.S. (New York City). SCHOTT grows to become an international group of companies.
First sales office in Asia (Tokyo).
First production plant in the U.S. (Duryea, PA).
First production plant in Asia (Penang, Malaysia).
The Otto Schott Research Center in Mainz is put into operation.
1991 / 1995
After the reunification of Germany, SCHOTT in Mainz takes over the ownership of the old main plant in Jena.
As of 1993
Establishment of production plants and sales offices in Eastern Europe.
First production plant in China.
Conversion of the foundation enterprise to the corporation SCHOTT AG. Its sole shareholder is the Carl-Zeiss-Stiftung.
|Innovation||Products||Press||Careers||SCHOTT North America|