Environmental Regulations in the EU
A number of directives regulating restrictions on certain hazardous substances, as well as waste disposal of electrical and electronic equipment have been established at European level and subsequently will be transferred to the national levels in the respective countries. These are:
- EU directive 2002/96/EC “WEEE” on the prevention of waste electrical and electronic equipment. The WEEE directive regulates the take-back, recovery and recycling of waste electrical and electronic equipment and for that purpose assigns the products to different product categories.
For disposal please contact:
Fax: + 49 5321 33 67 29
- EU directive 2002/95/EC “ RoHS” on the restriction of the use of certain hazardous substances in electrical and electronic equipment. As of July 1, 2006, products falling under categories 1-7 and 10 set out in the WEEE directive may no longer contain any of the following listed substances:
- Hexavalent chromium
- Polybrominated flame retardants PBB (polybrominated biphenyls)
- PBDE (polybrominated diphenyl ethers) above 0.1% by weight (in homogeneous materials)
- Cadmium above 0.01% by weight (in homogeneous materials).
The RoHS directive allows for certain exemptions for products falling under the categories 8 (Medical Devisces) and 9 (Monitoring and Control instruments) and a number of special purposes (e.g. optical glass).
- German Electrical and Electronic Equipment Act (ElektroG)
In Germany, the two EU directives on WEEE and RoHS have been transferred into national law by the so-called ElektroG as of 23 March 2005.
Implementation within Fiber Optics Business Segment
To fulfil the requirements of the ROHS, WEEE and ElektroG directives for the Fiber Optics Business Unit a project team has been initiated which subsequently is addressing the topics to be able to confirm conformity with both directives within the given timelines.
Declaration of RoHS compliance by suppliers
To conform to the requirements of the above mentioned directives and laws, the suppliers of SCHOTT AG Fiber Optics need to confirm that the materials, substances and preparations delivered to SCHOTT AG comply with the above-ul>mentioned directives and laws. Our logistics department will therefore contact all suppliers, asking them to forward their declarations of conformity.
Declaration of ROHS compliance to our customers
To receive confirmation of compliance about products and components of the Fiber Optics business unit the respective sales representative should be contacted. For fast processing the SCHOTT article number should be specified with the inquiry.