Versatile or multifunctional: DURAN® borosilicate glass 3.3 tubes, rods and capillaries
Versatile, highly resistant, easy to process – DURAN® borosilicate glass 3.3 is a multifunctional among technical glasses thanks to its many properties. Borosilicate glass was developed by scientist and company founder Otto Schott in 1897 and patented under the brand name DURAN® in 1938 (1). DURAN® glass has been the standard material used to manufacture laboratory glassware since the 1950s.
Today, SCHOTT manufactures DURAN® glass tubes, glass rod and other glass capillary products for a wide range of applications under the DURAN® trademark from laboratory glassware to products for architecture, lighting, gift items, renewable energies, photobioreactors and industrial systems and plants. Borosilicate glass 3.3 products, including DURAN® glass rods, DURAN® glass tubes and DURAN® glass capilliaries, are characterized by a wide range of dimensions, narrow tolerances and special customized solutions, as well as comprehensive consultation and services.
Outstanding properties: DURAN® borosilicate glass 3.3
DURAN® glass tubes, rods and other glass products meet all applicable standards for technical glasses such as DIN ISO 3585 and ASTM E438 Type I and corresponds to acid class 1 for maximum acid resistance.
Borosilicate glass 3.3 has outstanding chemical and physical material properties. DURAN® glass tubes, rods and glass capillary products are easy to process and compatible with a wide range of different forming and cutting techniques.
Major product advantages of DURAN® glass tubes, rods and other borosilicate glass 3.3 products:
- Highly resistant to temperature fluctuations and heat, ideal laboratory glassware for chemical processes and other processes where large amounts of heat are generated
- Highly resistant to corrosion caused by water, acids, saline solutions, alkaline solutions and organic substances, for durable products in corrosive environments
- High optical and cosmetic quality allows high yields during processing (no undesirable reflections or refractions)
- Chemically inert and non-combustible, borosilicate glass 3.3 is ideal for reaction vessels or sight glasses
- Narrow geometric tolerances for high yields in fully and semi-automated processing
- Wide spectrum of dimensions and lengths help to eliminate the need for subsequent dilation or part assembly
- Thermal toughening possible (DURATAN®)
Please refer to the Glass Tubing Explorer for technical details:
DURAN® borosilicate glass 3.3 tubes, glass rods and glass capillaries in a wide range of dimensions
See our products brochure for more information on the standard product range of DURAN® glass tubes, rods, capilliaries and other glassware.
American size DURAN® tubing is now being offered for immediate availability.
Products with special dimensions such as 0.3 mm glass cuttings or 10 m tubes have already been successfully manufactured.
SCHOTT is the only global company to have manufactured customized borosilicate glass 3.3 tubes with a maximum outer diameter of 46 cm in a single production process.
DURAN® glass specialists are open to special requests for customized glass rod and glass tube design. Get in touch with us!
Engineered product options >
If you need borosilicate glass 3.3 as flat glass, then our floated borosilicate glass - BOROFLOAT® is the solution for you.
(1) DURAN® is a registered trademark of the DWK Life Sciences GmbH.